• 2,098 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:20 AM

#2 RealbadSuperbad

RealbadSuperbad

Loyal Lizard Lounger

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:25 PM

If it's not posted by DD on any of their official websites then we can assume it's a fake.

- The Ultimate Rainbow.

#3 WhispersntheDark

WhispersntheDark

Queen of Tumble Down

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:Finding treasure in the dark, stirring it up, shooting stars.

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:45 PM

I think we should perhaps think about the source of where this came from or who posted it yes.  Consider the source.  But didn't Ronson leak it last time on a radio show?  That wasn't on an official site....

If it is fake, which it may be, it's a shame because I kind of like it's energy.

She's gentle to the touch
She's everything head first
So happy to be causing trouble

#4 RealbadSuperbad

RealbadSuperbad

Loyal Lizard Lounger

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:28 PM

I think we should perhaps think about the source of where this came from or who posted it yes.  Consider the source.  But didn't Ronson leak it last time on a radio show?  That wasn't on an official site....

If it is fake, which it may be, it's a shame because I kind of like it's energy.

I think you know what I mean. Unless the band or Mark post or air a clip with either a verbal or written signature we can assume all "2013 demos" are fake.

- The Ultimate Rainbow.

#5 Duraffinity

Duraffinity

Lizard Poster Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 11,755 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:02 PM

Even if it was legit (of which I am still skeptical), it sounds like it could just be a jam session or something.  Nothing to get hyped up about.    

LeBonaholic #20
Posted Image

#6 talos7

talos7

Baby Lizard

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:39 AM

I like it.

#7 thetange

thetange

Lizard Lounger

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:48 AM

It's the music from:

http://www.roland.co...td-30kv-v-drums

Still remains to be seen if the music is actually from the Duran sessions but if it is, count me in.  It sounds great.  The drums definitely deserve to be turned up in the mix.  Still hoping for an album that captures the energy of their live sets. 

Posted Image

#8 Cool Barn

Cool Barn

Loyal Lizard Lounger

• Members
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:54 PM

I really enjoyed that video Tange, and if that snippet actually IS one of Duran's new recordings, I hope it gets polished up and turns into yet another Duran wonder track!  I really like it.

Not so convinced on Roger's electronic sounds which he said inspired a new song.  Obviously without hearing anything else it's way too early to say much, but from the drum track alone - I don't like it at all.  A boring drum pattern with crappy electronic sounds - reminds me too much of the failings of Red Carpet Massacre, and sadly I can't share Roger's enthusiasm whatsoever.  That one will have to be polished more than a piece of coal in the mind to be worthy of the Duran name.

But little snippets like that help whet the appetite, so keep them coming boys!

#9 WhispersntheDark

WhispersntheDark

Queen of Tumble Down

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:Finding treasure in the dark, stirring it up, shooting stars.

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:01 PM

agreed on all accounts!!!  Thanks Tange for finding the source of the snippet.  It really will be interesting to see if it is of the boys or if it was just a "advertisement" song.  It's disco-esque and I dig it. 

She's gentle to the touch
She's everything head first
So happy to be causing trouble

#10 thetange

thetange

Lizard Lounger

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:04 PM

I really enjoyed that video Tange, and if that snippet actually IS one of Duran's new recordings, I hope it gets polished up and turns into yet another Duran wonder track!  I really like it.

Not so convinced on Roger's electronic sounds which he said inspired a new song.  Obviously without hearing anything else it's way too early to say much, but from the drum track alone - I don't like it at all.  A boring drum pattern with crappy electronic sounds - reminds me too much of the failings of Red Carpet Massacre, and sadly I can't share Roger's enthusiasm whatsoever.  That one will have to be polished more than a piece of coal in the mind to be worthy of the Duran name.

But little snippets like that help whet the appetite, so keep them coming boys!

You know how I feel about RCM.  What's the point of a Duran album that they're barely playing on?   Most of the drums in the clip sound pretty organic.  I don't mind electronic drums so much as long as there's a human element to them.  The bit where he uses the electronic sounds, to me, sound pretty good.....there's variety there and the human element of live playing.  If those drum parts make the cut, it'll be interesting to hear them in the context of the song they're the foundation of.   The drums in the clip sounds to me like modern jazz/fusion type stuff.

Speaking of electronic music.....has anyone heard the new OMD album, English Electric?  I knew the classic 4 piece line up of OMD had reformed several years ago and I bought Modern English.....liked a few songs but it certainly didn't wow me at all as an album.  So I wasn't even sure if I would buy English Electric but Amazon had the vinyl at a pretty good pre-release price, so I ordered it.  Got it, was playing it in the background one night and by the forth song it had pulled me in.  For anyone who ever liked OMD in the 80s (before Dreaming), it's like a classic long lost OMD album.  It's the first OMD album in 25 years that I've had on regular rotation.  Just thought I'd mention in case anyone was interested in checking it out.  They played it Coachella this year too.  Here's one of the more commercial songs from the album (they always had a good balance of alternative vs. commercial songs)......love the tone of the bass......simple bass line, but driving and effective:

Posted Image

#11 gmiyares

gmiyares

Baby Lizard

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:01 PM

I have OMD´s English Electric and consider it a fine return to early OMD (first 3 albums), plus a little Kraftwerk thrown in for good measure. The synth sounds are mostly analogic and very 80´s sounding. The only thing I don´t like much is the start of the album "your future has been cancelled" it`s a little bit of nonsense that sounds like a voice mail announcement on a smartphone..a fine effort of this talented bunch of misicians....hope to see them live someday.......but I want DD`s new music NOW!!

#12 thetange

thetange

Lizard Lounger

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:37 AM

I have OMD´s English Electric and consider it a fine return to early OMD (first 3 albums), plus a little Kraftwerk thrown in for good measure. The synth sounds are mostly analogic and very 80´s sounding. The only thing I don´t like much is the start of the album "your future has been cancelled" it`s a little bit of nonsense that sounds like a voice mail announcement on a smartphone..a fine effort of this talented bunch of misicians....hope to see them live someday.......but I want DD`s new music NOW!!

That's too funny - I had the exact same reaction  to the beginning of the album......it was obvious that they were kinda going for the feel/sound of one of the early OMD songs that uses an "operator" voice, but like you said - they didn't quite pull it off.  Fortunately, that's only a minute or so of the album.  I'd like to see them live too but I doubt they'll tour the southern U.S. territory.  They opened for Andy Taylor back in 86 or so didn't they?  Them and the Psychedelic Furs on other dates (didn't Andy and Richard from the Furs get into a fight or something?).  Btw....the Furs are currently touring the U.S.  Saw them last fall in Minneapolis and they were excellent. 

You mentioned that the OMD synth sounds on the new album are very 80s sounding.  You're right of course- but it's cool that their old stuff still holds up.  For all the synths they used, their work was original enough that they're not boxed into a particular time/sound.  Synths came of age in the 80s and so many bands used them in a way that put a time stamp on the music.  The new OMD album sounds just like their first so many records (I think it perfectly blends in some of the commercial elements of Crush and the Pacific Age albums too) but yet still sounds  fresh.  There's a similarity with Duran's AYNIN in that you can tell there was an effort to sprinkle in bits borrowed from their early stuff.   Conceptually I wouldn't think I would go for that kind of thing, but it's hard to argue with it when it sounds really good and is well executed. 

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

ALL AMAZON.COM PURCHASES MADE THROUGH THESE LINKS HELP SUPPORT THIS SITE