Concept album

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 WhispersntheDark

WhispersntheDark

Queen of Tumble Down

• Members
  • 685 posts
  • Interests:Finding treasure in the dark, stirring it up, shooting stars.

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:08 PM

Ya'll have Agent to thank for this peice of rambling. Lol! His post about the Killers got my wheels turning about the Trilogy Murder songs that the Killers did. It was so beautifully crafted and constructed. Mind blowing. The subtle nature in which they did it, didn't beat you over the head with it and put it out there. You really had to listen and peice it all together.

Smashing Pumpkins did somthing similar once upon a long time ago. Pink Flyod ditto. Beatles.....It has been done and done exceptionally well.

Think DD could pull something like that off? I know they've sorta hit on it with Drive By/The Chauffeur........hell even HLTW/TMWSAL (Idk if the last one was intentional or not, I just pretend it is, in my mind, at least Lol :D). But do you think they could create a story through an album weaving it so delicately? Not just 2 or 3 songs, but the entire album tell a story. And not put them in order, like chapters....but shuffle them up and in your mind you have to figure out what happened and figure out the sequence of events, like a puzzle. Simon is amazing with imagery...the other guys have showed their great capacity at song writing too.... my vote is yes. If they really put their mind to it.

And not talking TV Mania here...... Duran Duran.
She's gentle to the touch
She's everything head first
So happy to be causing trouble

#2 trevgreg

trevgreg

Loyal Lizard Lounger

• Members
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:23 AM

It depends if you mean a 'concept album' in general, or just a trilogy of songs with a coherent theme (as you seemed to hint in your post). I'd be open to either, although the idea of 2-3 songs tying together is a bit more to my liking than, say, an album surrounding the story of Jane as she went to the supermarket one day. :D

It's not exactly the same thing, but Simon has called the trio of DYBIS/OW/OOMM as being his trilogy of sorts for him getting over the death of his close friend too.

SimonShannon.gif

#3 nilebloggers

nilebloggers

Baby Lizard

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:39 AM

Apparently Nick has said that he and John are talking to Simon about this very idea. Could be great or a self indulgent pile of..... i'm sure Ronson will focus them though

#4 WhispersntheDark

WhispersntheDark

Queen of Tumble Down

• Members
  • 685 posts
  • Interests:Finding treasure in the dark, stirring it up, shooting stars.

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:11 AM

It depends if you mean a 'concept album' in general, or just a trilogy of songs with a coherent theme (as you seemed to hint in your post). I'd be open to either, although the idea of 2-3 songs tying together is a bit more to my liking than, say, an album surrounding the story of Jane as she went to the supermarket one day. :D

Lol! I didn't mean a simpleton story like "Jane goes to the market", smarty pants! Hahaha. I meant a deep and complicated. Maybe not a murder, been there- done that. Maybe a love story, maybe a story of a band, maybe a history of mankind, perhaps a social statement on where we are as a society, could be futuristic (like the reloaded Tron or whatever), something fictional, who knows!

I really do much prefer their peices of depth, like the Chauffeur, 7th stranger, TMWSAL, Silva Halo..... dark and haunting. It would just be a short jump to creating something like that.

I had no idea that they were currently tossing around that idea. Groovey.
She's gentle to the touch
She's everything head first
So happy to be causing trouble

#5 trevgreg

trevgreg

Loyal Lizard Lounger

• Members
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:32 AM

Apparently Nick has said that he and John are talking to Simon about this very idea. Could be great or a self indulgent pile of..... i'm sure Ronson will focus them though

I was trying to remember if this was true or not. I suppose there was a source for that somewhere then!

The "Jane" thing was just an example too. ;) Truth be told, I'm not really against the idea of it, although I'd hate for an album to be "limited" in terms of what things it can tell us and that sort of thing. But I am open to anything.

SimonShannon.gif

#6 nilebloggers

nilebloggers

Baby Lizard

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:15 AM

I was trying to remember if this was true or not. I suppose there was a source for that somewhere then!

The "Jane" thing was just an example too. ;) Truth be told, I'm not really against the idea of it, although I'd hate for an album to be "limited" in terms of what things it can tell us and that sort of thing. But I am open to anything.

There is, but I can't remember where I read it??? Duranasty maybe????  It will be interesting to see what unfolds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

ALL AMAZON.COM PURCHASES MADE THROUGH THESE LINKS HELP SUPPORT THIS SITE