Ok its March. Is the band in the studio again or what?

• You cannot reply to this topic
54 replies to this topic

#41 Simonalways

Simonalways

Loyal Lizard Lounger

• Members
  • 6,367 posts
  • Interests:DD music

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

Surprised not a mention of them returning to Studio with Mark Ronson in the March Duran Duran D-Blast that was sent out to the fan members this morning. 

#42 Lizard King

Lizard King

Forums Administrator

• Forums Adminstrator
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

Surprised not a mention of them returning to Studio with Mark Ronson in the March Duran Duran D-Blast that was sent out to the fan members this morning. 

I think this is just the "bang the shit out of instruments until we come up with some catchy" phase.

#43 rose_arcana

rose_arcana

Baby Lizard

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:45 PM

Also I could have sworn it was mentioned somplace that Ronson wouldn't be joining them until April?  They need some time to WRITE before he shows up I think.

#44 Duraffinity

Duraffinity

Lizard Poster Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 11,753 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:05 PM

Posted March 6th on Twitter:

Duran Duran @duranduran

Did we discuss @duranduran is back in the Studio this week? Did we??

LeBonaholic #20
Posted Image

#45 asteroidk

asteroidk

Baby Lizard

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:35 AM

That's because they are saving it for the "premium" content for Katy Kafe or whatever that is an "exclusive" feature for being a paying member of the fan club. I think I can wait that extra 15 minutes before the text is plastered all over the net with the exciting news.

#46 agentastronaut

agentastronaut

Loyal Lizard Lounger

• No Longer Welcomed Here
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:47 AM

I joined DDM.com the first year it was MADE available to fans - 2003.

- I paid my membership dues.

- I gained "exclusive" access to purchase tickets.

- Tickets "SOLD OUT" to New Orleans instantly, upon their "on-sale" - so I then had to choose between "$300 tickets" for the Fab Five reunion (4 states away from me)... or NONE at all.

- I swallowed hard (*GULP!*), and paid an unprecedented $300.00 for my ONE "78-03" V.I.P. ticket to see the (once unthinkable!) REUNION of Simon-Nick-John-Andy-Roger - the "Fab Five" MTV lineup of the original DURAN DURAN.

- When I arrived at the club Twiropa, tucked deep within NOLA's old, industrial, smokestacked Warehouse District, I found the "separate" line & box office for the V.I.P.'ers... I was informed by 2 young people huddled over a manilla envelope with my name that, "CONGRATULATIONS, DOUGLAS - YOU WON THE V.I.P. MEET & GREET. YOU GET TO GO BACKSTAGE TO MEET DURAN DURAN BEFORE THE SHOW TONIGHT!!!"

- I met Duran Duran. The "ORIGINAL" Duran Duran. The whole reason I TRULY fell in love with MTV, with radio, and with music ITSELF - distilled into the presence of 5 individuals - and I got to hold court with them backstage on the eve of their very comeback.

- The concert was FANTASTIC. My view of the show - FANTASTIC.

- The attentive "concierge"-type service from our DDM.com hosts was peerless. Thoughtful, cheerful, and full of personality.

And YET... after all the tangible magic (and good luck!) I experienced as a paying V.I.P. member of DuranDuranMusic.com - I didn't feel that magic transfer over into a "Fan Club"-level fan experience that was truly SATISFYING to me, as a "year long" member.

I enjoyed the pictures from other fans' reunion shows, as posted... but there wasn't much else there for me. The forums were awful - I poked in a few times, but never EVER found any of the genuine sense of warmth and community I already had at LizardKing's website here...

I think that "ANY" kind of "physical" manifestation of being a Duran Duran fan club member could have gone a LONG way for me - a VIP member card, an exclusive DD T-shirt, a fanclub print newsletter, a bumper sticker, a rubber bracelet, a calendar, even an exclusive DDM glossy band photo for fans.

But NOTHING tangible?

Nah. I still gloss over the site and its attendant "exclusive benefits" once or twice a year... but after 9 years, I don't miss it. I WISH the band had a better fan club I could throw my money at - and I would do it gladly.

But that site is a dull cash grab, to ME, for an "annual" fan experience. I tried it... met the band... got the photo... never got a T-shirt. LOL

I hope ONE day the band gets someone to "smart up" with their official Duran Duran fan club...

#47 Simonalways

Simonalways

Loyal Lizard Lounger

• Members
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:18 PM

That's because they are saving it for the "premium" content for Katy Kafe or whatever that is an "exclusive" feature for being a paying member of the fan club. I think I can wait that extra 15 minutes before the text is plastered all over the net with the exciting news.

I thought I am the paying fan member, been paying for a while now too. lol

#48 Simonalways

Simonalways

Loyal Lizard Lounger

• Members
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

I joined DDM.com the first year it was MADE available to fans - 2003.

- I paid my membership dues.

- I gained "exclusive" access to purchase tickets.

- Tickets "SOLD OUT" to New Orleans instantly, upon their "on-sale" - so I then had to choose between "$300 tickets" for the Fab Five reunion (4 states away from me)... or NONE at all.

- I swallowed hard (*GULP!*), and paid an unprecedented $300.00 for my ONE "78-03" V.I.P. ticket to see the (once unthinkable!) REUNION of Simon-Nick-John-Andy-Roger - the "Fab Five" MTV lineup of the original DURAN DURAN.

- When I arrived at the club Twiropa, tucked deep within NOLA's old, industrial, smokestacked Warehouse District, I found the "separate" line & box office for the V.I.P.'ers... I was informed by 2 young people huddled over a manilla envelope with my name that, "CONGRATULATIONS, DOUGLAS - YOU WON THE V.I.P. MEET & GREET. YOU GET TO GO BACKSTAGE TO MEET DURAN DURAN BEFORE THE SHOW TONIGHT!!!"

- I met Duran Duran. The "ORIGINAL" Duran Duran. The whole reason I TRULY fell in love with MTV, with radio, and with music ITSELF - distilled into the presence of 5 individuals - and I got to hold court with them backstage on the eve of their very comeback.

- The concert was FANTASTIC. My view of the show - FANTASTIC.

- The attentive "concierge"-type service from our DDM.com hosts was peerless. Thoughtful, cheerful, and full of personality.

And YET... after all the tangible magic (and good luck!) I experienced as a paying V.I.P. member of DuranDuranMusic.com - I didn't feel that magic transfer over into a "Fan Club"-level fan experience that was truly SATISFYING to me, as a "year long" member.

I enjoyed the pictures from other fans' reunion shows, as posted... but there wasn't much else there for me. The forums were awful - I poked in a few times, but never EVER found any of the genuine sense of warmth and community I already had at LizardKing's website here...

I think that "ANY" kind of "physical" manifestation of being a Duran Duran fan club member could have gone a LONG way for me - a VIP member card, an exclusive DD T-shirt, a fanclub print newsletter, a bumper sticker, a rubber bracelet, a calendar, even an exclusive DDM glossy band photo for fans.

But NOTHING tangible?

Nah. I still gloss over the site and its attendant "exclusive benefits" once or twice a year... but after 9 years, I don't miss it. I WISH the band had a better fan club I could throw my money at - and I would do it gladly.

But that site is a dull cash grab, to ME, for an "annual" fan experience. I tried it... met the band... got the photo... never got a T-shirt. LOL

I hope ONE day the band gets someone to "smart up" with their official Duran Duran fan club...

Great story Agent - That must have been over the top EXCITING!  I didn't do VIP but lucked out and met Simon the night of their reunion tour as well in 2003.   I would have to say that it was the most exciting thing ever, meeting Simon...

I don't visit the fan site very often but I keep it for getting tickets when tour comes.  I think they are better than getting 'em through Ticketmaster and I've had decent luck using them.  

#49 WhispersntheDark

WhispersntheDark

Queen of Tumble Down

• Members
  • 670 posts
  • Interests:Finding treasure in the dark, stirring it up, shooting stars.

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:27 PM

What a great story, Agent! Your experiences never cease to amaze me! Shame I won't return the favor! Bwahahhaha ;)

I've had the opportunity to meet them on 3 seperate occassions. Passed it up bc for me being a lifer has kinda put them up on this pedestal. If I met them and realized that they are *actually real people*....... my dreams would be shattered. It would bring them down to a "human" level. I'de prefer to have them be *untouchable*, so to speak.
She's gentle to the touch
She's everything head first
So happy to be causing trouble

#50 Duraffinity

Duraffinity

Lizard Poster Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 11,753 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:02 PM

What a great story, Agent! Your experiences never cease to amaze me! Shame I won't return the favor! Bwahahhaha ;)

I've had the opportunity to meet them on 3 seperate occassions. Passed it up bc for me being a lifer has kinda put them up on this pedestal. If I met them and realized that they are *actually real people*....... my dreams would be shattered. It would bring them down to a "human" level. I'de prefer to have them be *untouchable*, so to speak.

You had the opportunity 3 times and you PASSED IT UP?!  I get your logic, but I've never even had the CHANCE to meet them.  I know I couldn't decline a moment like that.  Though I know I would probably get really shy around them, all I would ever really want is a quick picture taken. 

LeBonaholic #20
Posted Image

#51 WhispersntheDark

WhispersntheDark

Queen of Tumble Down

• Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:00 PM

You had the opportunity 3 times and you PASSED IT UP?!  I get your logic, but I've never even had the CHANCE to meet them.  I know I couldn't decline a moment like that.  Though I know I would probably get really shy around them, all I would ever really want is a quick picture taken. 

Yeah, once in Tom's River, NJ, in '98 or '99....the guy we were sitting next to was a radio personality. He offered, I declined gracefully. Another time on the PopTrash tour at HOB in Vegas. Very same show I got sprayed by Simon lol. And the other time was in Baltimore, Pier 6. I hung out with Jeff Whalen (Tsar) by the chain link fence. In a very bright neon green dress, hot pink knee highs and hot pink feather boa (causing little bit of a stink around here). Had a few beers with him, he asked, and I said no thanks and explained my reasoning. My BFF had met them at a record signing in LA (she drove across country for it). So, she's met them but was ready to kill me over the declines without even consulting her first. Lol! Oh well.

#52 khanadarhodes

khanadarhodes

Baby Lizard

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:04 PM

ugh, don't get me started on the ddm.com bullshit. i still subscribe to it so i can get good seats when they tour, but i am glad they ditched the meet and greet thing - the one time i bought tickets with this "chance", the whole opportunity left me with a bad taste in my mouth. i didn't "win", but the whole experience was bad. i loved the seats, but they sure as hell weren't worth $600 apiece. suffice it to say their management sucks.

but anyway, i'm glad they're back in the studio. it's the music that matters. i loved aynin and if this album is anything like that, i'll love this one.

#53 Simonalways

Simonalways

Loyal Lizard Lounger

• Members
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:20 PM

$600 for a ticket is is a lot; I'd feel guity spending that kind of money on tickets so I don't typically do VIP.  Last summer I decided to get VIP ($214) for the OC but DDM messed up on the info with regards to where the seat is... It was a bit misleading and a lot of people complained so they decided to give us the option of a $150 refund (w/o the merchandise) and I took it.  I ended up getting awesome seat 5th row and just paid about $100.

The funny thing was their management wasn't on top of things and they ended up shipping me the merchandise anyway...

#54 Simonalways

Simonalways

Loyal Lizard Lounger

• Members
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:48 PM

I've been reading John's book and I was thinking hmmmm some of this is too much info (LOL) and I think if you don't want to see them as real people than perhaps you don't want to read his autobiography? 

I guess I feel the opposite and want to see them as real people and not so much "untouchable".  When I met Simon the 2nd time I acted like he's just some guy on the beach and was more interested in talking with his friend (lol) and so I think if I met him one more time I think I can actually flirt with him. hahaha

#55 WhispersntheDark

WhispersntheDark

Queen of Tumble Down

• Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:43 PM

Nope haven't read any of their own personal stories, you'll never find me giving my 2 cents on those threads :)  That's simply because I choose not to have an opinion on those subjects.

Good luck on the flirting, you're a much braver lady then I am!!! LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

ALL AMAZON.COM PURCHASES MADE THROUGH THESE LINKS HELP SUPPORT THIS SITE