Ok its March. Is the band in the studio again or what?

• You cannot reply to this topic
54 replies to this topic

#1 DDLAfan

DDLAfan

Baby Lizard

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:22 PM

Talk to me Hudson.

#2 Andre001

Andre001

Loyal Lizard Lounger

• Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:37 AM

I know they are due in the studios soon..I think this is the longest in the Duran Duran history they have gone without a tour, song, or something of value to promote the band.... I do hope Simon has finally shaved that horrendous stache...lol

#3 nilebloggers

nilebloggers

Baby Lizard

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:49 PM

If they are it won't be for long, Nicks got his TV Mania/ art exhibition launch thing going on in a few days.

#4 WhispersntheDark

WhispersntheDark

Queen of Tumble Down

• Members
  • 686 posts
  • Interests:Finding treasure in the dark, stirring it up, shooting stars.

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:12 PM

As much as I would love to hear new grooves........they just got off a brutal tour. For damn near 2 years. Let them take a break for a bit! Good gracious!! Besides, inspiration never comes on demand. I'de rather they take their time and put out good stuff, then just an album filled with empty beats. *cough*RCM*cough*

Just saying..... cut them some slack.
She's gentle to the touch
She's everything head first
So happy to be causing trouble

#5 agentastronaut

agentastronaut

Loyal Lizard Lounger

• No Longer Welcomed Here
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:14 PM

Read the "20th ANNIVERSARY OF DURAN DURAN (THE WEDDING ALBUM)" news story over at duranduran.com. Such a well-done, reflective piece from the band. I am *SO* happy to finally see the band "embrace" their past...

After the all-round good vibes from the WARREN CUCCURULLO post (and posts *ABOUT* Warren, from the rest of DD) - does anyone (out there?) feel like NOW might be the time to "bury the hatchet"...

...let by-gones, be by-gones...

...and have Simon, Nick, Roger, and even JOHN welcome Warren BACK into the studio to work on new material again for Duran Duran???

"PERFECT DAY" - the song, AND the music video - already SHOWCASED the potential of this lineup of Duran Duran. The results didn't bust "charts" wide-open - but the results of that brief version of Duran Duran have held up VERY well with time...

#6 thetange

thetange

Lizard Lounger

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:06 PM

As much as I would love to hear new grooves........they just got off a brutal tour. For damn near 2 years. Let them take a break for a bit! Good gracious!! Besides, inspiration never comes on demand. I'de rather they take their time and put out good stuff, then just an album filled with empty beats. *cough*RCM*cough*

Exactly.  I'm not really expecting a new album until late 2014 or sometime in 2015.  It'll be interesting following the updates as they work on the album and speculating.  How cool would it be if, once again, they had back-to-back great albums?  With Mark Ronson on board again and the band hopefully having finally learned some lessons - I don't think we have to worry about them trying to chase the latest trends anymore.  They're much more interesting, well-rounded people than they were 20 or 30 years ago and hopefully they'll bring that to the music and lyrics.   Like you said - they should take their time and make a great record. 

Posted Image

#7 RealbadSuperbad

RealbadSuperbad

Loyal Lizard Lounger

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:10 PM

To be fair RCM came after years of nothingness. Generally, what I've discovered about DD is that they're a band that needs to learn to ride the wave while the tide is still high. Downtime is when they lose focus and start over-thinking everything. Breaks are ok but we're talking months not years...

Plus they're getting seriously old.

- The Ultimate Rainbow.

#8 Cool Barn

Cool Barn

Loyal Lizard Lounger

• Members
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:26 PM

Sorry Agent, can't agree with you about Warren coming back.  The only album in which Dom Brown has been given writing credit is the band's best record in almost 30 years.  Sure the Warren years gave us Ordinary World and Come Undone, but for every two amazing pieces of music there were four pieces of rubbish.

I do actually like Warren.  I was very impressed by his work on Big Thing, and remember back when Liberty came out I was delighted that Duran were a 5-piece again (albeit for not long).  I embraced Warren being a full member of Duran Duran, and really appreciated his contribution to The Wedding Album which kept the band going.  But even though technically Warren is the best instrumentalist Duran Duran have ever had (full time member) you have to remember that a band of musicians is more than the sum of their parts.  A great musician does not guarantee great music.

It's time to be honest.  When it comes to Duran Duran, both Andy Taylor and Warren Cuccurullo are over the hill.  Dead and buried.  Done and dusted.  The work that Andy did on Astronaut was average.  The stuff posted on Andy's MySpace page is average.  Andy Taylor cannot currently write anywhere near as well as he did in the early 80s.  The stuff Dom Brown helped write is light years ahead of anything Andy has done for decades. 

Similarly Duran's last two albums with Warren were (relatively) awful.  Medazzaland had a couple of really nice tracks, but way too much unfulfilling electronic filler.  Pop Trash was similar, with a greater number of good songs and slightly less filler.  But there was nothing on those two albums even in the same postcode as Ordinary World or Come Undone.  While Andy's zenith was 30 years ago, Warren's was 20 years ago.  Just like Andy, the solo stuff that Warren has released since he left Duran Duran is very, very average.  And again the stuff Dom Brown helped write is superior to anything Warren has has done for decades.

So I say respect, love, and appreciate the work that two fine guitarists have achieved with Duran Duran over the past 30 years.  The band were very lucky to have Andy and then Warren, just like Andy and Warren were lucky to have the band.  But their time is past; it can never be replicated. 

The band's best music since the reunion was done with Simon Lebon, Nick Rhodes, John Taylor, Roger Taylor, Dom Brown, and Mark Ronson.  I say don't mess with a winning formula.  The 'lightning in a bottle' moments of the Andy and Warren years is now, in 2013, a lovable and magnificent memory.  Let's leave it that way, otherwise there will probably just be disappointment - again.

#9 thetange

thetange

Lizard Lounger

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:38 PM

To be fair RCM came after years of nothingness. Generally, what I've discovered about DD is that they're a band that needs to learn to ride the wave while the tide is still high. Downtime is when they lose focus and start over-thinking everything. Breaks are ok but we're talking months not years...

Plus they're getting seriously old.

Years of nothingness?  It was 3 years after Astronaut.  A world tour followed Astronaut and  then they worked on and all but completed an album of what is described as alternative rock music.   They had some Sony suits tell them, "We hear a second single, but not a first".  They lose a guitarist and jump in the studio with producers who know nothing about producing a band that plays real musical instruments, and rush an album out the door that was heavily outsourced.  You don't know who pushed what button for most of the album but you can surely hear a lot of buttons pushed.  What kind of wave did that turn out to be.....not one remembered too fondly by most.  I agree that they can certainly overthink things - but that's always when they're trying reinvent themselves and chase trends, rather than be true to themselves.   

No offense, but the comment that they're "getting seriously old" is lame. The band is much more interesting and with much more to say than they were even 10 years ago.  Hopefully their music will grow in the same way as they have as people.   In January, I saw Tony Bennett - 86 years old, in Minneapolis and the guy is in amazing voice. 

Posted Image

#10 Andre001

Andre001

Loyal Lizard Lounger

• Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:11 AM

I am sorry WhispersntheDark..but RCM was not all that bad--Box full of Honey and The Valley are 2 of the best songs Duran Duran have ever done in my opinion--listen to the Valley live--a great great song underappreicated as usual--yes Nite Runner and Skin Divers were following the wave but had they used real instruments with Timberland and maybe released Nite runner instead of Falling Down they would have had better results! Just my 2 cents..

this song rocks live!!!!!

PLAY THE FOOKIN BASS JOHN--SIMPLY AMAZING AND DOM SHINES ON GUITAR AS WELL...

#11 RealbadSuperbad

RealbadSuperbad

Loyal Lizard Lounger

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:40 AM

Years of nothingness?  It was 3 years after Astronaut.  A world tour followed Astronaut and  then they worked on and all but completed an album of what is described as alternative rock music.   They had some Sony suits tell them, "We hear a second single, but not a first".  They lose a guitarist and jump in the studio with producers who know nothing about producing a band that plays real musical instruments, and rush an album out the door that was heavily outsourced.  You don't know who pushed what button for most of the album but you can surely hear a lot of buttons pushed.  What kind of wave did that turn out to be.....not one remembered too fondly by most.  I agree that they can certainly overthink things - but that's always when they're trying reinvent themselves and chase trends, rather than be true to themselves.   

No offense, but the comment that they're "getting seriously old" is lame. The band is much more interesting and with much more to say than they were even 10 years ago.  Hopefully their music will grow in the same way as they have as people.   In January, I saw Tony Bennett - 86 years old, in Minneapolis and the guy is in amazing voice. 

Yes, but I recall in between the making of RCM they were dilly dallying alot. The album itself took forever to make and it was rubbish.

- The Ultimate Rainbow.

#12 thetange

thetange

Lizard Lounger

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:46 AM

Yes, but I recall in between the making of RCM they were dilly dallying alot. The album itself took forever to make and it was rubbish.

I believe RCM was released basically a year after they started it.  Andy didn't show up for the September/October'ish 2006 sessions, they announced his "departure" in October.  At that point they scraped the 14 songs recorded for Reportage and recorded a new album instead.  During that whole bit, Sony wanted them to go the way of trendy dance/pop, having rejected the rock album that Reportage was (and to be fair, Andy didn't feel Reportage was ready either).  When you are, to a large degree, outsourcing a last minute decision to make a new album to producers who have other clients, that's what happens......you work around people's schedules.  If you pieced together the time that really went into making the album, it probably wasn't more than two months.....maybe three.  They were probably spending most of their time trying to get on the marketing department's calendar after going down that path. 

AYNIN took much longer and was a much better record.  With Mark on board to keep the band honest and best intentions in mind......odds are that it'll be another great album.  Possibly with a curve ball this time since on the last one they referenced a lot of their early stuff (but in an entirely good way......in lesser hands, that could have backfired).   

Posted Image

#13 thetange

thetange

Lizard Lounger

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:05 AM

I am sorry WhispersntheDark..but RCM was not all that bad--Box full of Honey and The Valley are 2 of the best songs Duran Duran have ever done in my opinion--listen to the Valley live--a great great song underappreicated as usual--yes Nite Runner and Skin Divers were following the wave but had they used real instruments with Timberland and maybe released Nite runner instead of Falling Down they would have had better results! Just my 2 cents..

Box Full O'Honey is a keeper (kinda Arcadia'esque) and like you said, the live version of the Valley is great (the recorded version doesn't have the same energy).  Your suggestion that "if they would have used real instruments".......that certainly would have helped on some of the other tracks, and masked a bit of the fact that much of the album was laid down/dominated/outsourced to producers (which just makes the listener cynical.....you can HEAR how the record was made, and it's lame). 

Posted Image

#14 RealbadSuperbad

RealbadSuperbad

Loyal Lizard Lounger

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:15 AM

I believe RCM was released basically a year after they started it.  Andy didn't show up for the September/October'ish 2006 sessions, they announced his "departure" in October.  At that point they scraped the 14 songs recorded for Reportage and recorded a new album instead.  During that whole bit, Sony wanted them to go the way of trendy dance/pop, having rejected the rock album that Reportage was (and to be fair, Andy didn't feel Reportage was ready either).  When you are, to a large degree, outsourcing a last minute decision to make a new album to producers who have other clients, that's what happens......you work around people's schedules.  If you pieced together the time that really went into making the album, it probably wasn't more than two months.....maybe three.  They were probably spending most of their time trying to get on the marketing department's calendar after going down that path. 

AYNIN took much longer and was a much better record.  With Mark on board to keep the band honest and best intentions in mind......odds are that it'll be another great album.  Possibly with a curve ball this time since on the last one they referenced a lot of their early stuff (but in an entirely good way......in lesser hands, that could have backfired).   

Ha - thank you for proving my point. Reportage took forever to make because they were once again over-thinking everything. They didn't get a real producer - JOHN was doing it much to Andy's disapproval. And according to Andy he was still very much on board with DD until he quickly realised that the new album was going to be The Timbaland Show. That's when he became Mr Flaky McFlightly. So your timeline is slightly incorrect. Yes, AYNIN is one good album out of several that took forever to make which were mediocre at best. Pop Trash and Astronaut, for instance, were both entirely average. But at least then they had an excuse because they were changing producers like they change their underwear (which I hope is at least every day). Now they have a producer that gets them and who they are. They should be steady and consistent.

- The Ultimate Rainbow.

#15 WhispersntheDark

WhispersntheDark

Queen of Tumble Down

• Members
  • 686 posts
  • Interests:Finding treasure in the dark, stirring it up, shooting stars.

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:50 AM

I am sorry WhispersntheDark..but RCM was not all that bad--Box full of Honey and The Valley are 2 of the best songs Duran Duran have ever done in my opinion--

Box Full O' Honey I'll give ya...... the Valley ehn. Don't get me wrong, when I put it in, I'll keep it in my car CD player for like a week and it'll play through. Of course, it is several years later......

They weren't true to their sound (the sound that has kept me coming back for more time and time again for 30 years). That's my biggest gripe with it. They compromised, and in the portfolio of music and accomplishments, there is ZERO reason why they should compromise.
She's gentle to the touch
She's everything head first
So happy to be causing trouble

#16 Cool Barn

Cool Barn

Loyal Lizard Lounger

• Members
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:44 PM

A few decent songs does not an album make.  The verse of Box Full O' Honey is great when the drums kick in, really really good, but the chorus lets it down.  And the less said about the stilted, stop-start nature of the track the better.  The Valley live is okay, but is still a very repetitive piece of music that gets old quick, and the vocal of the chorus is grating with every line ending in "it".  When I watched Duran on Songbook it was obvious how inferior The Valley was to every other song they played.  She's Too Much is a pretty song, and Cry Baby Cry is pretty good as well (probably why it was left off the album lol), but the remainder of Red Carpet Massacre is a train wreck, absolutely unlistenable on CD, much better live but still not a patch on most of Duran's earlier work.

I agree that the album could have been a lot more successful commercially, but the only way that would have happened would have been if Timbaland and Timberlake had promoted the album as hard as they could, and appeared in every video.  Even then the young fans would have been wondering who the hell the old farts were who were hanging out with the Timbers.  It would have been lovely seeing Duran sell some albums again, but do you really want to accept that the only reason they did sell better than usual was because of the people they were seen with, rather than the quality of the music and their contribution towards it?

As we know the real money is made from touring, so album sales, while nice, aren't as important.  Duran still attract a decent enough crowd, and still make more money each year (on average) than you or I can dream of.  I for one am thankful that Duran are no longer going to be dictated to by a record label, and can work with people they want to work with rather than being given a list of suitable producers.  Because if they were still with Sony I doubt very much that Mark Ronson would have made the shortlist, and he is easily the best producer the band have worked with since they reunited (along with Nile of course, who is as brilliant as ever, but unfortunately wasn't given much of a ride on Astronaut).

Can't wait to hear what they come up with next.

#17 trevgreg

trevgreg

Loyal Lizard Lounger

• Members
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:31 PM

Ha - thank you for proving my point. Reportage took forever to make because they were once again over-thinking everything. They didn't get a real producer - JOHN was doing it much to Andy's disapproval. And according to Andy he was still very much on board with DD until he quickly realised that the new album was going to be The Timbaland Show. That's when he became Mr Flaky McFlightly. So your timeline is slightly incorrect. Yes, AYNIN is one good album out of several that took forever to make which were mediocre at best. Pop Trash and Astronaut, for instance, were both entirely average. But at least then they had an excuse because they were changing producers like they change their underwear (which I hope is at least every day). Now they have a producer that gets them and who they are. They should be steady and consistent.

I know that he did state in interviews around the time of his book how he wished he had gone to "stand up" to the producers (i.e., Timbaland and company), or at least something along those lines. The book also made him appear at least open to the idea of recording with them, and that when they were moving recording dates around to get Timberlake on board was when he started getting antsy about the whole thing. But Andy's always stuck to his Visa excuse for not showing up to the sessions, and whether or not he had some ulterior motive behind it, who knows?

In terms of the lengths of recording an album, I don't think we need to go into the idea of "Duran Time" again (which like the above situation, is something fans have long discussed!). But it is worth pointing out that aside from Astronaut and AYNIN, the other ones were recorded in a fairly quick amount of time. Reportage took about 8 months to mostly finish the 15 songs that were done for it. RCM took about the same amount of time - maybe a little less even - to get the 13 or so songs done for it. The initial sessions for Astronaut were done and mixed in a little over a year and the band only went back when it appeared record companies weren't going to sign them. AYNIN took as long as it did because of Simon's struggle to come up with lyrics and, from what it looks like, a lot of rewrites on the songs over time.

But the silver lining from that last one is this... they took their time with one to make sure it sounded right to them, and for the most part it sounded very right to us too! I'd like a new album as soon as possible, but I also understand that these guys have lives and should have some downtime to "recharge the batteries," as John put it. I don't think that time period is one where the band can "lose focus" or "overanalyze" things. In fact, they might even hear or see a few things which could lead to an interesting album. Plus, they're not involved with a major record company anymore and can put out things when they darn well please. For the most part, that's what led to delays in getting new material in the past (and indirectly why one DD album hasn't seen the light of day yet).

I can't speak for everyone here, but I'd much rather have them take their time with getting something right if they know the end result is going to be very good. They proven in the past that they can finish an album in less than a year and have some decent songs on it. But if they're right about this Ronson thing and want to continue what they have going, then by all means, do it the way you think is going to work again. I also doubt the wait for a new album would take much longer than the 1.5-2 years it took to get AYNIN after they went back to the studio initially. After all, they want new material just as much as we do...

SimonShannon.gif

#18 RealbadSuperbad

RealbadSuperbad

Loyal Lizard Lounger

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:00 PM

I like "Box Full of Honey", "Tempted" and "Last Man Standing"...the rest are just really plastic and lacking any real musicality for me.

Timbaland is a great producer. He really is. I enjoy some of his work. But having him with DD is like taking a swig of Fanta Fruit Twist with a chocolate bar - sometimes two great things don't go well together.

- The Ultimate Rainbow.

#19 Cool Barn

Cool Barn

Loyal Lizard Lounger

• Members
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:22 PM

I can't speak for everyone here, but I'd much rather have them take their time with getting something right if they know the end result is going to be very good. They proven in the past that they can finish an album in less than a year and have some decent songs on it. But if they're right about this Ronson thing and want to continue what they have going, then by all means, do it the way you think is going to work again. I also doubt the wait for a new album would take much longer than the 1.5-2 years it took to get AYNIN after they went back to the studio initially. After all, they want new material just as much as we do...

Totally agree Trevgreg.  If given the choice of a Red Carpet Massacre every year, or an All You Need Is Now every three years, I'll take the latter every day of the week thank you very much.  I'm more than happy to play Duran's new album for a couple of months straight after release, wait a year or so, and then happily repeat the process.  Given "RCM albums" every year, I'd play it for a few weeks, realise it's not for me, and never play it again.  There's only so much you can play Duran's back catalogue before you start getting itchy for their new stuff.

Plus the anticipation is greater when you know the album is going to be good.  If you knew it was going to be average, then Duran Duran would lose a lot of lustre, respect, and anticipation from me.  They'll always be my favourite band sentimentally, but sentiment can only take you so far when you judge an artist in the present.

(One proviso of these three years I'm prepared to wait - I don't want them writing the perfect album in 12 months, but then spend 2 years tweaking the crap out of it and adding a multitude of layers [yes I'm looking at you Nick] so that it eventually ceases resembling the album as it was meant to be.  Less is more.  Let the songwriting, not the cool sounds, do the talking)

#20 Lizard Queen

Lizard Queen

Forum Moderator

• Members
  • 5,110 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:13 PM

I know that he did state in interviews around the time of his book how he wished he had gone to "stand up" to the producers (i.e., Timbaland and company), or at least something along those lines. The book also made him appear at least open to the idea of recording with them, and that when they were moving recording dates around to get Timberlake on board was when he started getting antsy about the whole thing. But Andy's always stuck to his Visa excuse for not showing up to the sessions, and whether or not he had some ulterior motive behind it, who knows?

This. Also, by Andy's own account he had been acting like a dickhead struggling with personal issues pretty much since "Astronaut" came out, so his departure was a long time coming and wasn't just over Timbaland/Timberlake.

As for DD, dude, they just got off a huge world tour not six months ago and Nick had to be carried home. I wouldn't say they're slacking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

ALL AMAZON.COM PURCHASES MADE THROUGH THESE LINKS HELP SUPPORT THIS SITE